When looking for the best food for your giant or large breed dog, there are a number of factors that influence the right choice. This includes the nutritional formulation as well as attention to details like kibble size. Purina® Pro Plan® has a number of great options designed to bring out the best in your dog. But first a little background.
GIANT DOG BREEDS
Giant dog breeds are known for their impressive statures, topping out over 100 pounds at maturity. These include:
- Great Danes
- Saint Bernards
- Greater Swiss Mountain Dogs
- Dogue de Bordeauxs
- Neapolitan Mastiffs
LARGE DOG BREEDS
While not as physically imposing as the giant breeds, large dogs typically weigh in at 50 to 100 pounds when fully grown. This group includes many of the most popular dogs, including sporting breeds:
- Labrador Retrievers
- Golden Retrievers
- German Shepherds
- German Shorthairs
- Doberman Pinschers
CONSIDERATIONS FOR LIFESTAGE
The nutritional needs of your large or giant breed dog will change over time. So it’s important to know what types of nutrition can support these different stages in life.
Growing puppies require more calories, protein and fat than adult dogs, especially the big dogs. As it takes a little longer to fill out a frame of that size, it’s not uncommon for large or giant breed dogs to eat puppy food up until their 2nd birthday.
Purina® Pro Plan® Puppy foods provide DHA, an omega fatty acid, to help nourish brain and vision development. For proper bone growth, our puppy foods contain an optimal calcium-to-phosphorus ratio. Their developing immune systems can also benefit from vitamins and minerals, including vitamin E and selenium, which are beneficial antioxidants.
You’ll want to transition your giant or large breed dog to an adult food around 18-24 months. Work with your veterinarian for an opinion as to when your dog is fully-grown. All of our Pro Plan® adult formulas are designed to support good health and an ideal body condition throughout life.
While larger dogs might show signs of aging a little sooner than smaller dogs, the transition typically occurs around age 7. Look for a food with specialized to nutrition that addresses not just the physical changes that occur later in life, but age-related cognitive changes as well.
A NUMBER OF GREAT OPTIONS
Purina® Pro Plan® offers a number of specialized formulas to satisfy the nutritional needs of giant and large breeds across all stages of life. In general, foods tailored to large and giant breeds contain lower levels of fat and calories to help maintain a healthy weight and ideal body condition. Also look for dry dog foods containing glucosamine and EPA to help maintain joint health and mobility.
Look for dry dog foods with large kibble that is specially designed to encourage slower eating and healthy digestion for giant dogs. Here’s a good list to work from, listed by life stage:
- Pro Plan® FOCUS Large Breed Chicken & Rice Formula for Puppies is designed for growing large breed puppies.
- Pro Plan® FOCUS Adult Giant Breed Formula includes real chicken as the #1 ingredient and natural sources of glucosamine and EPA to help maintain joint health and mobility.
- Pro Plan® FOCUS Adult Large Breed Formula and SAVOR® Adult Shredded Blend Large Breed Formula both include real chicken as the #1 ingredient and natural sources of glucosamine and EPA.
- Have an active dog? Check out Pro Plan® SPORT® All Life Stages Performance 30/20 Formula. It’s formulated to help fuel strength and endurance.
- Is your large or giant breed carrying some extra pounds? Look at FOCUS Adult Weight Management Large Breed Formula to help your dog get back into ideal body condition.
- If your dog is age 7 or older, take a look at Pro Plan® BRIGHT MIND™ Large Breed Formula. With breakthrough use of enhanced botanical oils shown to promote alertness and mental sharpness in dogs 7+, with visible results within 30 days.
Those are just a few of the formulas targeted specifically to meet the needs of large or giant breed dogs. No matter which one you choose, when you feed Purina® Pro Plan®, you’re making a smart choice for your dog.
Want an expert recommendation based on your dog’s unique needs and preferences? Get a myPLAN recommendation and a rebate for a free (4 – 6 lb bag, up to $18.99) bag. GET STARTED NOW.
Good only in U.S.A., A.P.O.'s, F.P.O.'s. Void where taxed, prohibited, restricted. Allow 6-8 weeks for shipment. LIMIT ONE REQUEST PER INDIVIDUAL, ADDRESS, or EMAIL ADDRESS. Offer expires 04/30/2015. SEE FULL TERMS.