Beef is a high-quality source of protein. Protein provides your dog’s body with nutrients it needs to function well and stay healthy, including:
- Essential amino acids (the ones your dog’s body can’t produce on its own)
- Support for essential functions like tissue maintenance and muscle growth
- Support for strong muscles including a healthy heart
- Support to help the body maintain muscle mass
- Support for an ideal body condition
- Support for a strong immune system
Purina® Pro Plan® brand dry dog foods were founded on the idea of using real meat such as beef as the first ingredient in their formulas. For that reason, Pro Plan® formulas always contain real meat, poultry or fish, and all Pro Plan® dry products have it as the first ingredient.
For example, Purina® Pro Plan® SAVOR® Adult Shredded Blend Beef & Rice Formula features beef as the first ingredient, along with other high-quality protein sources. If you prefer to feed a grain-free formula, Pro Plan® NATURAL Plus Essential Vitamins and Minerals Classic Beef & Peas Entrée is an option that also features beef as the first ingredient, in a tasty wet meal.
If you are considering a switch to a dog food made with real beef, remember to transition your dog gradually, to allow his system time to adjust to the new food and avoid dietary upset. The nutrition experts at Purina® recommend transitioning your dog over a seven-to-10 day period:
- Start by introducing the new food in small amounts during the first two days, still primarily feeding your current food. Measure the amount of new food you are adding and make sure to remove an equal amount of your current food.
- During days 3-5, add a little bit more of the new food each day, while continuing to remove the equivalent amount of your current food. By the end of this period, the amount of the two foods should be about equal.
- During days 6-7, continue adding more of the new food, while removing an equal amount of your current food.
- During days 7-10, continue increasing the amount of the new food and decreasing your current food until the transition to the new food is complete.
If during this transition period your dog experiences any dietary issues, be sure to call your veterinarian. Once you’ve chosen a quality, complete and balanced beef dog food formula, and your dog has made a successful transition, you’ll have the confidence of knowing he is getting nutrition he needs, as well as the enjoyment of a tasty meal.