If you’re considering feeding your dog a grain-free fish dog food formula, you’re in luck. With the growing grain-free pet food market, and the many health benefits that fish provides, you’re sure to find plenty of options. But, how do you know which one is right for your pet?
Before you purchase a new food, it’s always best to talk with your veterinarian, especially if you’re making a big change, such as eliminating grains. Then, do your homework and compare options. Here are a few things to consider as you search for a grain-free fish dog food formula:
- Is it 100% complete and balanced for your dog’s life stage? A complete and balanced dog food formula, as identified on the label, will provide your dog all of the nutrients he needs for a healthy diet, meaning there is no need to supplement. Some grain-free formulas are only designed for adult dogs and should not be fed to a puppy. So, be sure to check the label.
- Where is fish listed among the ingredients? The closer to the top of the ingredient list, the better. Fish is rich in omega-3 fatty acids, which help support a healthy immune system, skin and coat, and joints. Plus, it’s an excellent source of protein for energy and to build strong muscles. A few of the most common types of fish used in dog foods are salmon, tuna and ocean whitefish, which may include cod, pollock, haddock, sole and halibut.
- Does it contain other animal protein sources? Some fish-based formulas may include other animal-based proteins, such as chicken, just in lower quantities. If this is important to you, check the ingredient list.
- What carbohydrate sources does the formula use in place of grains? Cassava root flour, pea starch and sweet potatoes are common carbohydrate sources in grain-free formulas. Remember to always check the label - grain-free does not always mean it is low in carbohydrates.
- Does it contain any added artificial colors, flavors or preservatives? If you prefer a natural formula, check the label to ensure the product does not contain any synthetic ingredients, except essential vitamins and minerals.
One great option for a grain-free fish dog food formula is Purina® Pro Plan® Natural Grain Free Tuna & Egg Formula. Made with carefully chosen ingredients, this formula features high-quality tuna as the first ingredient, and it’s made without poultry by-product meal, corn, wheat, soy, added artificial colors, flavors or preservatives.
Whichever formula you choose, be sure to transition your dog to his new food slowly to help avoid dietary upset. And, once you find one that your dog enjoys and thrives on, stick with it. A grain-free fish dog food formula can be a healthy, nutritious diet for your dog. Good luck with your search!